Sunday, August 31, 2008

How to grow your Twitter network

If you are attentive, then you should notice that in my 'Check Our Network' widget, I placed twitter in the top. Yet, I have done that because Twitter is one of the best and fastest social website ever. The reason behind its speed is that all people are online!

I use always Google Trends to analyze other websites traffic data, this gives me an idea if a website is successful or not. A successful website, means that it worth working and building a community on it.



Twitter had successfully grown its network from 100K daily unique to more than half a million in one year only.
But you don't have to forget that Twitter can be used from external sites, application and mobiles (like iphone) which means, this is not the real number of daily users.

Brief, this network is expanding quickly and Twitter is going to be the next big thing on the Internet (A social sites like Facebook or Myspace).

I was upon an article on TechCrunch, that shows Twitter Stats from a website called Twitter Rush, here's the graph anyway.



Tweets (or status updates) reaches up to to 1 million, which means an excessive use of Twitter. So don't get surprised if you find this image (and this happened many times).



Bored? Yes I know, but I'm very addicted to analytic. Now here's the most important part, I'm going first to explain what's Twitter and what it does and how to use it to expand your social network quickly and in short time.

What's Twitter

Twitter is a free service that allows you to show your status to your friends on the go, using the web platform or an application on your mobile device. By updating your status, your friends get informed about what you do, where you go and how you are.
By following other people (some people can protect their updates) you can see their status and what they are doing (if they regularly update it).

How Twitter makes you popular


If you stumble the Top 100 most popular twitter users (by followers) you'll notice that they are already famous people or bloggers around the web.
Twitter won't make you popular, but will help expand your popularity. (As I said in my first post, it's the accumulation of being present on social websites that makes someone popular).

The aim you must reach with Twitter, is to create your base of follower from Twitter and not create it from your other social websites!

Here's a few hints that will get you started.
  • Follow people and they'll follow you back. (Don't follow popular people because they won't do back follow and that's normal, don't follow also people who didn't update their status for a long time)
  • Reply to other people by using the @username on your status update and get hot conversations with them. You are about to get reached by their followers.
  • Ask other people on forums, chat, your blog to follow you. Don't forget to put your update.
  • Updating your status regulary will give you more chance to appear on the public time zone. However if you public frequantly, you may upset your followers and they'll block you in this case :(
  • Twitter is addictive so be careful how to find your way out!!!
Yet this was what I have done for two days and for a total period of 5 hours. Results are on the following picture, picked from Twitter Counter.



My follower number was constant 9 for about 3 months! (Those was my friends on Gmail). 5 Days ago, I published a post on my Spring Of Life blog about Twitter, although the post got about 50 views on that day, I got only 8 new followers only (that's normal as I'm not popular and also not all of my readers are subscribed to Twitter and interested to follow)

The next day, I done about 2 hours, following other people, replying and also add my Twitter to my blogs and other pages. The results was great: 102 hits from Twitter to my blog and more 65 followers!
Yet, I got interested and continued tomorrow by following more and updating, that time I got 210 visitors from Twitter and 91 new followers.

From that day, I stopped activity on Twitter, for the first reason I reached the following limits (!) and also I got bored from clicking the follow button every where!

But Twitter didn't. My followers number still increase everyday, although with a small number but increase. (if it averages to 5 new followers a day, then I'll get more than 10,000 the next summer, great no?)

But what the reason of this increase?
  • By following people, you'll be added to their list of followers, which means more promotion for your Twitter account
  • When people follow you, you also get more promotion that increase day after day
  • By updating and keeping the conversation, you still get new followers
  • Promoting your Twitter account on other social sites will also grow your follower numbers.
  • And you still grow! See who's on Top 100
Tweet Better and Faster

If you are a FireFox user, then you are lucky because many add-ons will help you tweet.


Twitter Bar is an add-on that will post to Twitter from your Address bar. This will update your status by "Currently browsing" and the url you are browsing.
Useful to tell your followers what you browse on the go.




TwittyTunes is an add-on that will allows to post your currently playing songs to Twitter with a click. As a bonus, you can also post the websites you're visiting, videos you're watching and more!




Twit Bin is a twitter interface for firefox. Send and receive Twitter.com messages to your friends from anywhere on the web.



You can find more on the FireFox Add-ons Gallery.
Enthusiastec about? Follow me on Twitter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts

DJ said...

Great ideas. Good to know. I followed a few peoplelike Guy Kawasaki and NetDocuments and my followers went up a little.

Find us on

Blogging Tips Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory